Chercher
Filtres génériques
Correspondances exactes uniquement
Rechercher dans le titre
Rechercher dans le contenu
Rechercher dans l'extrait
Filtrer par produit moyen
Autre
Peintures
Sculpture
Œuvres sur papier
Filtrer par sujet de produit
Abstrait
Allégorie
Animaux
Architectural
Scène de plage
Biblique
Paysage urbain
Scène de genre
Historique
Intérieur
Paysage
Maritime
Nu
Pastorale
Portrait
sport
Nature morte
Scène d'hiver
Rembrandt Harmensz. van Rijn
(Leiden 1606-1669 Amsterdam)

“The Stoning of St. Stephen”

Etching, with touches of the burin
9,5 x 8,5 cm
Signed and dated (l.l.) ‘Rembrandt f 1635’.
More info

Bartsch 97, White/Boon 97, Hind 125 ; ‘The New Hollstein Dutch’
(Hinterding/Rutgers), 2013, no. 140, 1st state of (three).
Plate in existence in Paris – with Nowell-Usticke (1967)

Notes

Frederik Carel Theodoor, baron van Isendoorn in Blois van de Cannenborch, was the last
representative of a family dating back to a Willem de Cocq, lord of Isendoorn (under Tiel), who died in
1318. The castle of Cannenburg became the property of this family around 1560 by a marriage with
Margaretha van Rossem, sister of the famous general Maerten van Rossem to whom the castle had
belonged since 1543. Baron van Isendoorn, cited above, was a zealous amateur who brought together a
fine collection, especially in drawings and in prints, by purchases from the best sellers of his time (IJver,
Dumesnil, de la Motte Fouquet, von Fries, de Graaf, Esdaile, Wolterbeek, Verstolk, etc.). After his
death the inheritance gave rise to litigation; his widow, a baroness van Oldeneel tot Oldenzeel, had the
usufruct and the property fell to others. All the paintings, drawings and prints passed into the hands of
a banker, Wolff, of Amsterdam, and of a certain Cohen, interested in Wolff’s affairs, who organized the
public sales. J. Ph. Van der Kellen, director of the Prints Office in Amsterdam, assisted in the
description of the drawings and prints. The tapestries that adorned the castle, as well as the paintings
that had not been part of the sales of August 19 and October 7-8, 1879, were sold at Roos in
Amsterdam on April 18, 1882.

The mark, affixed by the care of the house Roos, which directed the sale, was mainly used for the
designs. The prints in this collection can be recognized by the initials of Wolff and Cohen written in
pencil on the back (see L.2610).

Provenance

Collection de Vries;
F. C. Th. Baron van Isendoorn in Blois (1784-1865), Château de Cannenburg, in Vaassen, in
Gelderland;
Collection Jan Veth (1874-1925);
thence by descent;
private collection, The Netherlands.

F. C. Th. Baron van ISENDOORN in BLOIS (1784-1865), Château de Cannenburg, in
Vaassen, in Gelderland. Prints and Drawings.

This initials, with the initials of Wolff and Cohen, buyers of the Isendoorn collection, is found
on the prints of this collection and often also on the drawings. For more details see L.1407.

Condition

A very strong early 17th century impression, trimmed to the platemark.

fr_FRFrench