The painter was born in Amsterdam where he lived and worked until his death in 1915. He painted city scenes, landscapes, river -and harbour -scenes.
He was a pupil of his uncle , the famous painter Cornelis Springer.In 1856 Rust became member of the Amsterdam Society ‘Arti et amicitiae’.
He was the teacher of John Hulk jr., F.A.Lissone and M.Monnickendam. For many years he also was a teacher at the Industrial School ‘Den Werkenden Stand’ and at the Technical School.
He had several exhibitions in Amsterdam, The Hague and Rotterdam.
Work of this painter can be found in:
Nederlands Historisch Scheepvaart Museum-Amsterdam,
Rijksmuseum Kröller-Müller –Otterlo.
– Christie’s, London, 1972;
– with Richard Green, London.
– Christie’s, London, 1994;
– Acquired at the above sale by a private British collector, thence by descent;
– Douwes Fine Art, Amsterdam 2021.
– C.C.P. Marius, Dutch Painters of the 19th Century, Woodbridge, 1973, p. 284, illustrated.