General Terms and Conditions of Sale 2021
ARTIKEL 1 - ALGEMEEN
- These General Terms and Conditions are applicable to all contracts concluded with Douwes Fine Art B.V. and a customer, concerning sales, purchases, consignments and further services (hereafter “Contract”).
- Amendment of the Contract or deviation from these General Terms and Conditions, are only valid when agreed in writing between the parties involved.
- A customer is regarded any person or entity entering into a Contract with Douwes Fine Art B.V. regarding sale or purchase of Artworks as defined below or services provided by Douwes Fine Art B.V. such as, but not limited to, sale by Douwes Fine Art B.V. acting as an agent on consignment basis (hereafter: “Customer”)
- The applicability of any general terms and conditions of the Customer is rejected by Douwes Fine Art B.V.
- These General Terms and Conditions may be updated from time to time, in which case the modified version will enter into force immediately upon notification to the Customer. These Generals Terms and Conditions will be available on the website of Douwes Fine Art B.V.
- If one or more provisions of these General Terms and Conditions should at any time be wholly or partially invalid or annulled, then these provisions shall be deemed to have been replaced by a provision that matches the meaning of the invalid provision as closely as possible. Other provisions of these General Terms and Conditions shall remain fully applicable.
ARTIKEL 2 - TOTSTANDKOMING VAN DE OVEREENKOMST
- Een Overeenkomst komt slechts tot stand door uitdrukkelijke aanvaarding van een aanbod van de Klant door Douwes Fine Art BV
- Under no circumstances is Douwes Fine Art B.V. bound by any statement in a (written) quotation (“Offerte”), for example, but not limited to, statements concerning the author of an Artwork, its origin, date, age, genuineness, source, provenance or condition, unless this statement is incorporated in a written Contract. To such statements incorporated in a final written Contract, articles 3 and 4 of these General Terms and Conditions apply.
ARTIKEL 3 - STAAT VAN DE KUNSTWERKEN
- All Artworks are sold as is described by Douwes Fine Art B.V. in the Contract and otherwise in the condition they are in at the time of sale. The Customer accepts the qualities of the Artwork that where known or reasonably should have been known at the time of the sale.
- The nature of the artworks for sale at Douwes Fine Art B.V. – amongst others: old master and classic paintings, drawings and sculpture – (hereafter “Artworks”) is such that they will rarely be in a perfect condition, as a new painting or drawing could be. Due to the (natural) aging process and the nature of the Artwork, it is likely that the Artwork shows signs of wear and tear, damage, other imperfections, professional restorations and/or repair.
- Conditierapporten zijn op aanvraag verkrijgbaar.
- Any statement by Douwes Fine Art B.V., whether oral or in writing (including condition reports), as to the physical nature or condition of an Artwork is given to the best of knowledge and with appropriate care, but reasonably cannot amount to a full description of condition. Douwes Fine Art B.V. recommends that the Customer seeks advice on these matters from its own professional advisors.
- In case of a Contract regarding consignment, in which case Customer acts as seller and consignor of the Artwork (hereafter ”Consignor”), or purchase, being purchase by Douwes Fine Art B.V., between the Customer and Douwes Fine Art B.V., the following applies. Customer shall provide all information known to him with regard to condition, value, provenance, source, import and export, origin, authenticity or any other information that can be of relevance to Douwes Fine Art B.V.
- In case it appears that Customer did not fully inform Douwes Fine Art B.V. as referred to in article 3.5., Douwes Fine Art B.V. may terminate the Contract with immediate effect.
ARTIKEL 4 - VERKLARINGEN VAN DOUWES FINE ART BV
- Any statement of Douwes Fine Art B.V. about any Artwork, whether orally or in writing, concerning for example the authorship of an Artwork, origin, date, age, genuineness, source, provenance and condition is based on the generally accepted opinion of scholars or experts and/or the leading authority on the respective artist on the date of the sale. Douwes Fine Art B.V. has based its knowledge on these outside experts.
- All statements of Douwes Fine Art B.V. as to the author, origin, date, age, genuineness, source, provenance and condition of any Artwork are statements of opinion only and shall never imply any sort of guarantee by Douwes Fine Art B.V.
- It lies within the nature of the Artwork that the knowledge about and qualities of the Artwork may change due to new insights of experts. Douwes Fine Art B.V. recommends that the Customer seeks advice on these matters from its own professional advisors. The parties agree that any sale or purchase of an Artwork by Customer qualifies as an aleatory contract (“subject to chance”). In any case, the Artwork meets and fulfils the Contract when: a. the written description of the Artwork corresponded to the generally accepted opinion of scholars or experts at the date of the sale or the description fairly indicated that there was a conflict of opinions; and/or b. it appears that knowledge about the Artwork at the date of sale is incorrect, and the correct identification of an Artwork can be demonstrated only by means of either scientific process not yet generally accepted for use until after the date of the sale or a process which at the date of the sale was unreasonably expensive or likely to have caused damage to the Artwork.
ARTIKEL 5 - PRIJZEN, BETALING EN EIGENDOMSOVERDRACHT
- Alle genoemde prijzen zijn in EURO inclusief omzetbelasting (BTW), tenzij anders vermeld.
- A Customer must pay by depositing the relevant amount in the bank account of Douwes Fine Art B.V..
- Payment of the full amount must be made within 14 days after the date of the invoice, unless otherwise agreed in writing.
- If the Customer fails to make payment in full within 14 days after the date of the invoice, Douwes Fine Art B.V. will have the right to exercise a number of legal rights and remedies. These include, but are not limited to, the following: a. charge an interest at an annual rate of 10%; b. charge collection costs as established by the series of extrajudicial collection costs (BIK); c. to hold the Customer liable for the total amount due, together with interest, legal fees and all costs of Douwes Fine Art B.V., for example but not limited to costs of Douwes Fine Art B.V. for storage and insurance of the Artwork.
- De Klant verkrijgt pas de juridische eigendom van het Kunstwerk als het volledige bedrag door Douwes Fine Art BV in goede staat is ontvangen.
- In some cases, Douwes Fine Art B.V. acts as an agent for a seller, and Douwes Fine Art B.V. only has power to transfer legal title of the Artwork after consent is given by the seller (“Consignor”). In these cases, the Customer will not acquire legal title to the Artwork until such legal consent of the seller is obtained by Douwes Fine Art B.V. and the selling price is paid in full.
- The invoice is considered to be the only confirmation of the agreement. The General Terms are deemed to be known by the Customer and apply to each relevant occasion.
ARTIKEL 6 - AFHALING EN VERZENDING
- Douwes Fine Art BV is gerechtigd het Kunstwerk onder zich te houden totdat alle aan Douwes Fine Art BV verschuldigde bedragen volledig naar behoren zijn ontvangen, en / of totdat de Klant aan enige andere openstaande verplichting heeft voldaan die Douwes Fine Art BV redelijkerwijs kan verlangen.
- The Customer shall collect the purchased Artwork within two calendar days from the date of payment of the full amount from the premises of Douwes Fine Art B.V., unless otherwise agreed. Delivery site is at the gallery/offices of Douwes Fine Art B.V. unless agreed otherwise.
- Verzendkosten, in- en uitvoerrechten, kosten voor verpakking en verzekering zijn voor rekening van de Klant, tenzij schriftelijk anders overeengekomen.
- Het risico en de verantwoordelijkheid voor het kunstwerk (inclusief lijsten) gaat bij de totstandkoming van de overeenkomst over op de klant.
ARTIKEL 7 - AANSPRAKELIJKHEID
- Douwes Fine Art BV is slechts aansprakelijk in geval van opzet of grove schuld bij de uitvoering van de Overeenkomst. Douwes Fine Art BV is in geen geval aansprakelijk voor een hoger bedrag dan de door de Klant aan Douwes Fine Art BV betaalde koopsom.
- Douwes Fine Art BV is niet aansprakelijk voor schade veroorzaakt door derden, al dan niet betrokken door Douwes Fine Art BV
ARTIKEL 8 - TOEPASSELIJK RECHT EN JURISDICTIE
- The relation between Customer and/or other third parties and Douwes Fine Art B.V. shall be exclusively governed by Dutch law, with exclusion of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.
- Alle geschillen die ontstaan in verband met dit Contract, of verdere contracten die daaruit voortvloeien, zullen worden voorgelegd aan vertrouwelijke arbitrage in Nederland.
- The arbitral tribunal shall be composed of one independent Dutch (art) expert arbitrator, appointed jointly by the parties. If parties fail to reach agreement about the selection of the arbitrator, both parties will appoint one Dutch (art) expert arbitrator and a third Dutch (art) expert arbitrator will be selected by the President of the Court of Amsterdam.
- De plaats van arbitrage is Amsterdam, Nederland. De arbitrageprocedure wordt gevoerd in de Engelse taal. Beroep tegen een beslissing van het scheidsgerecht is uitgesloten.
- Parties choose domicile in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Parties shall submit matters that are not subjected to arbitration only to the Dutch Court of Amsterdam. The Court of Amsterdam has exclusive jurisdiction on all matters not subjected to arbitration.
- Een Klant die een natuurlijk persoon is die handelt voor doeleinden die buiten zijn handels-, bedrijfs-, ambachts- of beroepsactiviteit vallen, kan binnen een maand nadat lid 2 of 5 van dit artikel is ingeroepen het geschil in plaats daarvan voorleggen aan de wettelijk bevoegde rechter.
ARTIKEL 9 - HERROEPINGSRECHT
- The following is only applicable to distance contracts and off-premises contracts, between Douwes Fine Art B.V. and Consumers from the EU, within the meaning of the Consumer Rights Directive 2011/83/EU and as specified under paragraph 2 of this article. Any Customer living outside the EU cannot derive any rights from this article or the mentioned EU Directive.
- Een Consument is een natuurlijk persoon die een overeenkomst aangaat met Douwes Fine Art BV en handelt voor doeleinden die buiten zijn bedrijfs-, ambachts- of beroepsactiviteit vallen en zijn gewone verblijfplaats binnen de EU heeft.
- When purchasing Artwork, a Consumer has the right to withdraw from a distance contract or an off-premises contract within the meaning of the Consumers Rights Directive 2011/83/EU, without giving reasons, during 14 days. This withdrawal period commences on the day after the Artwork is received by the Consumer or a third party on behalf of the Consumer, who is not the transporter.
- If the Consumer wishes to exercise his right of withdrawal, he shall give notice of this by means of the model form for withdrawal as published on the website of Douwes Fine Art B.V., or by making any other unequivocal statement setting out his decision to withdraw from the Contract. Risk and burden of proof of exercising the right of withdrawal in accordance with this Article lies with the Consumer.
- As soon as possible, but in any case within 14 days from the day following the said notice of paragraph 4 of this article, the Consumer must return the Artwork to Douwes Fine Art B.V., in the original state and packaging, in accordance with the instructions that are provided by Douwes Fine Art B.V. The Consumer is liable for any diminished value of the Artwork resulting from handling the Artwork other than what is necessary to establish nature and characteristics of the Artwork. The costs of returning the Artwork are at the expense of the Consumer.
- Douwes Fine Art B.V. will not repay the purchase price until it can be confirmed by Douwes Fine Art B.V. and/or proven by the Consumer that he has returned the Artwork in exactly the same condition as when he received the Artwork from Douwes Fine Art B.V. originally.