This polychrome sculpture with an adoration scene, shows a kneeling female patron, surrounded by the holy family. It was not uncommon for patrons who commissioned the sculpture to be portrayed. Some slight overpaint is visible, mainly in the flesh tones (‘inkarnaten’), probably from a restauration in the 19th century.
Sold at Drouot 18 March 1890, the collection of Mr. Dubessy, lot 112;
in a French and Flemish collection ever since;
Catalogue des objets d’art et d’ameublement des XVe, XVIe, XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles […], – le tout appartenant à m. Dubessy [Chevallier, 1890], no. 112.
We thank Mr. Jan Dirven for his expert help to describe this piece.