Chercher
Filtres génériques
Correspondances exactes uniquement
Rechercher dans le titre
Rechercher dans le contenu
Rechercher dans l'extrait
Filtrer par produit moyen
Autre
Peintures
Sculpture
Œuvres sur papier
Filtrer par sujet de produit
Abstrait
Allégorie
Animaux
Architectural
Scène de plage
Biblique
Paysage urbain
Scène de genre
Historique
Intérieur
Paysage
Maritime
Mythical
Nu
Pastorale
Portrait
sport
Nature morte
Scène d'hiver
Gerardina Jacoba van de Sande Bakhuyzen
(1826 - The Hague - 1895)

A still life with peaches and grapes

oil on panel
20,5 x 26,5 cm
signed 'GJ. vd S Bakhuijzen' (lower right)
More info

Notes

Gerardina was a 19th-century painter from the Northern Netherlands.She was born into a family of painters in The Hague to Hendrik van de Sande Bakhuyzen and Sophia Wilhelmine Kiehl. Gerardina van de Sande Bakhuyzen and her brother Julius were taught to paint by their famous father, Hendrik. She is known for still lifes, mostly of flowers, and fruits.

From childhood she painted flowers, and for a time this made no especial impression on her family or friends, as it was not an uncommon occupation for girls. At length her father saw that this daughter, Gerardina—for he had numerous daughters, and they all desired to be artists—had talent, and when, in 1850, the Minerva Academy at Groningen gave out “Roses and Dahlias” as a subject, and offered a prize of a little more than ten dollars for the best example, he encouraged Gerardina to enter the contest. She received the contemptible reward, and found, to her astonishment, that the Minerva Academy considered the picture as belonging to them.”

Provenance

– Auction, Frederik Muller, Amsterdam, April 1944, lot 228.
– Collection B. de Geus van den Heuvel, Nieuwersluis, by 1959.
– With Kunsthandel A.H. Bies, Eindhoven, 1978, no. 37 in exhibition Eindhoven.
– Private collection, The Netherlands
– Douwes Fine Art, Amsterdam 2022

Exhibited

– Amsterdam, Museum Willet Holthuysen, ‘Romantische School, schilderijen uit de collectie B. de Geus van den Heuvel’, 28 November 1958-2 February 1959, cat. no. B81.

fr_FRFrench