this large and rare work is in excellent condition and still on its original stretcher, with a wonderful provenance, and has been painted for Corot’s family home designed to fit in their garden house which was one of the painter’s favourite places since 1822.
As a gift from the artist to his mother. It was painted for the garden house of the Corot family residence in Ville-d’Avray, north of Versailles. The family residence was bought later by Mr Lemerre, with this painting included. He had it relined and brought it over to his Parisian home; with Dr. Willi Raeber, Basel, after the 1950s; thence by descent to a private collection Basel, Switzerland; sale Kornfeld, Bern, July 2007.
Basel, Kunsthalle, “Basler Privat Besitz”, July – September 1957. cat. no. 105 with ill; Bern, Kunstmuseum, “Corot”, January – March 1960, cat. no. 48; Schaffhausen 1963, Museum zu Allerheiligen, “Die Welt des Impressionismus”, cat. no. 15.
Alfred Robaut, ‘L’Œuvre de Corot, Catalogue raisonné et illustré’, Paris 1965, Vol. II, no. 601, with ill.